We’re doing something a little different this week with our blog by spotlighting one of our communities in Ross County. This week’s spotlight is on Adelphi.
Adelphi is a small village in northeastern Ross County and is home to approximately 371 citizens. It was founded in 1804 and was surveyed and laid out by Gen. Nathaniel Massie for Reuben and Henry Abrams. Adelphi was incorporated by act of the State Legislature in 1838. 10 years later, Adelphi had organized a lodge of Odd-Fellows and the first newspaper in Adelphi was established January 1879 under the name “Adelphi Border News.”
A notable person in history that came from Adelphi, Ohio was John Purdue. He was a wealthy industrialist and was the primary benefactor of Purdue University. Most of the details of John Purdue’s early life was either not recorded or lost.
This Saturday (September 19th) is a great opportunity to visit Adelphi for their Town Hall Car Show. This car show is held to help raise money to paint the outside of Town Hall.