It is hard to believe that 2016 is already coming to an end. It seems like every family has their own special ways of bringing in the New Year. Do you sit at home with family while enjoying Sauerkraut & Sausage? Maybe you prefer the night life and toasting a glass of champagne at midnight.
I started wondering what are some ways that other people celebrate the New Year. So I searched and came across many different traditions from all over the world. Here are five of the traditions:
- Kissing at Midnight – This is a tradition that is celebrated by almost everyone you know, but why? It is said that this tradition came from Ancient European Times. Not doing so would cause an entire year of loneliness.
- Eating Sauerkraut & Sausage – It is said that eating Sauerkraut on New Year’s will bring you wealth, and the Sausage or Pork eaten with the Sauerkraut comes from the Dutch saying “The Pig Roots Forward” meaning you will be moving forward in your new year.
- Eating 12 Grapes at Midnight – This tradition comes from Spain. Eat 12 grapes at 12 midnight one for each month of the year with a special wish for good luck.
- Playing the New Year’s Song at Midnight – The song, “Auld Lang Syne,” is sung at the stroke of midnight in almost every English-speaking country in the world to bring in the new year. At least partially written by Robert Burns in the 1700’s, it was first published in 1796 after Burns’ death. Early variations of the song were sung prior to 1700 and inspired Burns to produce the modern rendition. An old Scottish tune, “Auld Lang Syne” literally means “old long ago,” or simply, “the good old days.”
- Toasting with Champagne – Champagne is believed to be involved in more than 1,500 years of history and celebrating. This tradition has been carried on to today, as you toast to the new year, new chances, and good fortune.
These are just some of the tradition’s that I have celebrated myself, or know of other’s that celebrate them so I was interested in finding the history. What are ways that you celebrate the New Year? Looking for a new tradition? Chillicothe has tons of fun things going on to bring in the New Year. Shawnee Lanes Bowling Alley will be having their Annual New Year’s Eve Family Celebration! Great deals on bowling for the family to celebrate in a family friendly place. Also, Christopher Conference Center will again be having their New Year’s Eve Bash! Comedy, Music, Dinner and more! Just $25.00 a person or $45.00 for a couple.
For more information on upcoming events this weekend check out our Events Calendar.